Wednesday 16 July 2008

GPS monitoring for car insurance

In my talk at ISUVR2008 I referred to an example where an insurance is monitor driving behavior and makes a tariff according to this. Some people asked me for more details and
references, here they are…

My example was based on the pilot announced from the German insurance WGV. They planned to run a pilot with 1500 people using a GPS based monitoring devices. The box is mounted in the car and compares the current speed with the allowed speed limit and warns to reduce speed (if over the limit). If the driver is more than 12 times per year over the speed limit (basically ignoring the warning) he does not get the reduced rate. (see http://www.wgv-online.de/docs/youngandsafe.pdf - in German only). In the announcement it said they will run the pilot to 2009...

There are different ideas how to take GPS driving monitoring beyond the lab, e.g. in 2007 Royal & SunAlliance announced a GPS-based eco car insurance and the AIG a Teen GPS Program – targeted at parents.

Looking at different comments (on news pages and in blogs) it seems that people's opinions are very split...

3 comments:

Lynn Marentette said...

I have been following your blog for the past few weeks and appreciate it.

I also have lots of ideas for new user interfaces and pervasive computing applications.

I blog about similar topics, my blogs are my on-line file cabinets.

kanchipuram silk sarees said...


kanchipuram sarees

kanchipuram silk sarees

kanchipuram silk sarees wholesalers

Herbal Powder


golu dolls

Shubham said...

It was a great blog i had ever read.Thanks for sharing the blog, seems to be interesting and informative too.Could you help me finfing more detail regarding Best Car Insurance In India